This week I am 34 weeks pregnant! I am ready to be
done! It’s funny how new symptoms come and go. Now, my main symptoms are
swollen hands and feet! It’s the worst, my hands feel completely
arthritic, I cannot open jars or perform small
tasks requiring dexterity. And my feet are in agony; whenever I stand, I
have to bear all my weight on my toes because my arches are in severe
pain. Luckily Nick gives me a foot rub every night:)
I am still getting
nose bleeds too and pregnancy rash on the back of my hands. I think
it’s from the 100% increase in blood volume. Beyond that, other symptoms
have passed (thank goodness) like the severe 2am headaches and lower back pain.
My total weight gain as of Tuesday
is 57 pounds which I am happy with. I am striving for an overall gain
of 60 pounds; based on all the books I’ve read, it is optimal for twin
mothers to put on 50-60 pounds in order to grow the healthiest
babies possible. Obviously this should not be gained eating McDonalds
and junk food!:) If you do not take in enough nutrients, the babies’
growths will be stunted. This is especially crucial with twins since
they have to share all of the resources. I am completely
tired of eating though, it is just a chore now and I can’t wait to not
care anymore. I’ve eaten red meat every other day at least, and it
disgusts me now. But – it all seems to have paid off because Louise said
they are growing very well!! They are each the
same size as a singleton at this point (~4.5 pounds). Here is a chart
of their weight progression thus far:
Weight Progression
|
|||
Week #
|
Date
|
Pun A
|
Pun B
|
24
|
3/5/15
|
1lb 9oz
|
1lb 7oz
|
27
|
3/26/15
|
2lb 9oz
|
2lb 5oz
|
31
|
4/23/15
|
3lb 15oz
|
3lb 10oz
|
33
|
5/7/15
|
4lb 5oz
|
4lb 3oz
|
If I can grow them each to 6 pounds (or close to 6 pounds) by birth, I will be ecstatic.
I am getting a lot of Braxton Hicks contractions.
That’s when your stomach tightens up and becomes as solid to the touch
as your forehead. But these aren’t real contractions so it seems I am
not in imminent threat of labor, which is good!
I need to hang on until at least 36 weeks (May 26)
so that I can give birth at Tobey hospital. I’ve been there for some
tests and the staff seems really nice, and the hospital itself is
peaceful and laid back which I really like. I saw Louise this week and
had a strep test and she checked my cervix, which she said still looks
long. I had non-stress testing at Tobey; that’s when they hook up
monitors to your belly – in my case it was three monitors: one for Baby
A’s heart rate, one for Baby B’s heart rate, and
a third to measure the frequency/duration of my contractions. They are
measuring the heart beats to make sure that they respond appropriately
to their environment, e.g., if I get a contraction, their heart rates
should speed up. If I were to go into labor
before 36 weeks, there’s a good chance that Louise would send me to
South Shore hospital in an ambulance, because they have the level III
NICU and can care for preemies, which Tobey cannot do.
I’ve been working from home which is really nice,
whenever I need to, I can just lie back and put my feet up. At the
office I was just in total discomfort.
No comments:
Post a Comment